BOOK REVIEW ― The Opposite of You (Opposites Attract #1) by Rachel Higginson






I’ve sworn off men. 

All men. 

Famous last words, right? You’re expecting some epic tale of reluctant love and my dramatic change of heart? Well, you’re not going to get it. 

I’m stubborn. And headstrong. And I’ve just survived the worst three years of my life. After escaping an abusive boyfriend to live in hostels and cheap hotels while I worked my way across Europe, I’ve come to two conclusions. 

The first? Now that I’m back home, I’m going to squander my expensive culinary degree on a food truck that caters to the late night drunk crowd. 

The second? I’m going to prove to the bastard across the plaza that my street food is better than his fussy five course monstrosities.

Killian Quinn might be Food and Wine’s Chef to Watch Out For. He might have a Michelin Star. He might have every food critic in the city wrapped around his too-large fingers. But he’s also pretentious and unbearably arrogant and the very opposite of me. 

So he can keep his unsolicited advice and his late night visits and his cocky smiles. I want none of it. Or him. 

I want the opposite.


Rating & Review

   

descriptionI flew straight to Amsterdam, Vann. What was he going to do?
Hop on a plane and scour the city looking for me?”
"Yeah. That. Or the whole damn country. If you love a girl, if she’s the one, you don’t let an ocean stop you. You go after her. You don’t let her get away.”



I've said it before and I am saying it again. It is always daunting picking up a book by an author that is new to you. And, when it is authors like Rachel Higginson whose previous works are so well loved by the readers, all you hope is that when you pick up a book by them you are not disappointed because no matter what you say, in the book community first impressions really do matter and that impression sets the pace for the future — if you would or would not pick any of their books, published or upcoming.


My first impression of my very first Rachel Higginson — I ENJOYED it. Thoroughly! The Opposite of You is a slow burn, witty, sexy and an overall feel good romance with minimal angst. This is your classic enemies-to-lovers with a spicy twist. The pace of the book is not too fast and not too slow. It is slow enough that Higginson gave us characters, dialogues, and storyline that are well developed.


Talented chef Vera Delane used to dream of running her own restaurant and covet every chef's dream — the Michelin Stars. All of her dreams came crashing down when she decided to tour Europe to escape her toxic relationship and partner because of whom she could never get close to her dreams. Now she is living with the next best thing — owning her own food truck and featuring dishes with tastes that are inspired and reflect the European countries.
Vera parks Foodie the food truck in her brother's shop's parking lot and directly across from the world renowned chef's restaurant, Killian Quinn.


Killian Quinn is everything that Vera dreamed about it. His own restaurant, the Michelin Stars and a name in the food industry. Killian is like any other person in this industry, temperamental, perfectionist and doesn't like any competition, especially from a food truck.



descriptionAt some point, we’ll fight. In the future, things might get difficult. I’m never going to be an easy person to get along with. But, Vera, on the other hand, we can fight for each other. Life will likely get difficult whether we’re together or not, so why not tackle it together? And I might be an asshole, but I’m an asshole that cares a very great deal for you. In fact, I might even love you.”
“You what?”
“I love you, Vera. I do. I love you.”



Like I mentioned before, this is a slow burn; with extra emphasis on slow. Higginson takes her time in developing the story, all the while keeping it interesting enough that you want to flip the pages and want to know what is going to happen next.

If you plan to read this, take your time. It might or might not take your average time to finish this book, the latter in my case, but the culmination of Killian and Vera is totally worth the slow build tension. And of course, it is a romance novel so you definitely get enough sexy times.

So, if you are looking for something different within the Romance Genre, give this book a try. You are definitely going to enjoy it!



Comments