Playing Pretend by Tamsyn Bester | BOOK REVIEW





Playing Pretend
by Tamsyn Bester


Buy PLAYING PRETEND (Kindle)

"Kadence Kavanagh has spent the last two years trying to rebuild her life. When a job opportunity presents itself, she can’t say no, even if it’s with the man who’s life was ruined by her father’s indiscretion. It’s been years since she last saw Caleb Callahan, and she’s not even sure he remembers her, but she’s determined to give herself a clean slate no matter who she has to work for. 


In the unlikeliest of circumstances, Caleb becomes her savior – if somewhat reluctantly - and she discovers that the man she’s read about in the gossip columns is nothing more than a smoke screen. Kadence knows that keeping her distance is for the best, no matter how difficult, but when Caleb proposes the unthinkable, she finds herself caught between what’s real, and what she wishes was real.


Caleb and Kadence lose themselves in a lie, and when reality comes knocking, they realize that all they were doing was playing pretend… "

My Thoughts



 There are no happy-ever-after's when you play pretend."





For so long my favorite Tamsyn Bester book was Beneath Your Beautiful with The Line Between a very close second. This book has been a long time coming and it sure as hell didn't disappoint me and it moved up to my in the first place of my Tamsyn favorite!

GAHHH!!! It had everything that I enjoy in a story! The characters had a history and it was sort of a second chance romance. I have no idea where to start because there is so much to talk about in this book and I just don't want to give away any spoilers!

The heroine, Kadence is strong, sassy and spunky and though is affected by things that go around here she is knows how to hold her own. She is trying to remove herself from anything and everything that is her father, sister and the Archer name in general. She is flawed and she owns those flaws and you can't help but love her from the very beginning! It was so easy to relate to her because they way Tamsyn portrayed Kadence felt like it was my friend going through these problems and it made a connection with the her and her emotion that I always wish to have with every character that I read about.




 Has anyone ever told you how smooth you think you are?"
"I don't think I'm smooth. I know I am. Or so I've been told."






The male lead, Caleb was an asshole but still so drool worthy... Sorry! lost myself myself for a minute there. I HATED this ruggedly handsome and tattooed guy and it wasn't even a task. I hated him till 95% of the book! He was absolutely irritating and I just wanted to pull him out of the pages and shake him and slap some serious sense in him.

The constant pushing and pulling between the Kadence and Caleb that stems from their past was real and definitely kept me at edge waiting for the next shoe to drop. Given that the book is from Kadence's point of view with Caleb's perspective coming right at the end I wanted to know what went in his head. When I got to know what was going in his head... Yeah! I still didn't like him until the very end.





 I want her. I don't think I've ever wanted anything more than to have her trust again, and to prove that I'm deserving. The chances are I will never be worthy, but I'm prepared to spend the rest of my life trying if that is what it takes."




The story line has twists that I didn't see coming at all. I mean, I'm so into the story and then comes Tamsyn and smacks one twist. I actually went back a few pages to see if I missed any signs or small hints that I would have missed but NIL! There wasn't a single hint!
After the disorienting while totally amazing ad welcoming surprise, I went further into reading and comes in Tamsyn and pulls the carpet from under me leaving me staring at the characters like... HELLO!!! Some help here? Can you help me out and tell me why did you deem it acceptable?!

There was a lot going in the book and leaned towards heavy than light-hearted with a angst. Though it was a 'heavy' read it was by no means depressing that I would feel bogged down. Playing Pretend It was the perfect combination of sass, action, angst, heartbreak, humor and everything else.

Even though Caleb and Kadence's relationship started as a pretense in the end it was REAL and PERFECT! Definitely these two had more lows than highs but I LOVED it so so so much and I am so RECOMMENDING this book to everyone!!! Absolutely amazing!!


4.5 Stars! Standalone. 


Comments