2020 Book Haul




2020 has been such an amazing start! From books that I’ve waited for a year to get my hands on to finally going down the Young Adult Fantasy route, which I have been dying to get back into since last year, the start of this New Year has definitely been a bang!

Funny enough, my sister decided to play Santa last year and went on the Book Hunt to hear me stop crying about that one book I’ve been dying to get my hands on! And one another for extra measure! 

Also, January of every New Year brings in the World Book Fair in New Delhi, India where big and small publishers come together at one place and put up books for sale! This is an annual solo ritual that I absolutely love! 

So, in the words of Gollum here are "My Precious"!




1. THE CRUEL PRINCE by Holly Black 



The Cruel Prince has not only been on my TBR since its release but it has held my interest a little longer than that. Why? One, the blurb and the cover pulled me in and two, the hype around this book has really amped up the anticipation for me. I mean, we all know this one. We've all seen the hype on our timelines more than once, so it was absolutely natural for someone like me, who's picture you'll likely find beside the word 'Curious' in the dictionary, to see what the fuss was about. 




2. SERPENT & DOVE by Shelby Mahurin

I gotta admit for this one. That cover is so freaking beautiful and with that title, I had an idea of the kind of story I would get. Add magic to this mix and it is literally one of my favourite tropes in this genre. Also a witch and a witch hunter... married? 

I'm a simple girl with simple needs. You give me a 'forbidden' fantasy romance and I will pounce on it like my life depends on it. 



3. A CURSE SO DARK AND LONELY by Brigid Kremmer


I picked this book up for three reasons, and three reasons only.
1. Beauty and the Beast retelling.
2. Beauty and the Beast retelling.
3. Beauty and the Beast retelling. 

And that is that.



4. ONE DAY IN DECEMBER by Josie Silver




One of the main reasons I picked this book was because of the blurb. One Day in December is a type of romance that I look for every year. I love a romance that shows a solid relationship between the leads, a connection that can be felt. A full-fledged romance where sometimes, even though the choice is obvious and staring at your face, the characters are presented with opportunities that need to be taken and roads that need to be travelled before finally having what was fated from the beginning.

There's something in the anticipation, isn't it?



5. AURORA RISING by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff


Aurora Rising is another case of "Pretty book cover! Need it on my shelf!"
Sci-fi is a genre that I have not ventured into before. Plus a cocky diplomat with a black belt in sarcasm? A sociopath scientist? A smart-ass techwiz? An alien warrior? A tomboy pilot? A girl that has been trapped in cryo-sleep for two centuries? What is not to be interested?! 




6. KING OF SCARS by Leigh Bardugo


A Leigh Bardugo purchase has been in the making for a very long time! I've seen her books floating on all my timelines, loved by some, not so much by the others but hey, it got me really curious and interested. King of Scars also happened to be the only book I could manage to get my hands on at the moment. Also, M.A.G.I.C! *snaps finger Magnus Bane style*



7. SHAKESPEARE FOR EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. Edited by Allie Esri


Shakespeare and I have had a romance that spans back to 2005 when I was 10 and I was handed my cousins Shakespeare's selection of abridged stories for kids, full with pictures and everything. Since then, I have managed to read and re-read a few of his Plays and almost all of the Sonnets. 

This collection features passages from all of his works, Plays and Sonnets combined, for every day of the year with little introductions from Esri before the selected passage. 
My little Shakespearian heart could not pass this opportunity. 



8. OF CURSES AND KISSES by Sandhya Menon (Paperback ARC)


I love Sandhya Menon and I have come to love her brand or take on YA Romance featuring Indian families and their kids in a foreign setting. We've heard this a hundred times — Representation matters and to have an author to give me a story about a kid that I relate to culturally makes my heart burst with happiness! Also, her debut series has TONS of Bollywood reference *be still my heart* 

Of Curses and Kisses is set in an elite boarding school. You know what that means?

An Indian princess + A broody British aristocrat + An elite boarding school + Contemporary Beauty and the Beast retelling = ROHINA HAS LOST HER DAMN MIND! 


PS. I've finished reading this book and it is the sweetest little thing that keeps true to the OG fairytale! Keep an eye out for my review!



9. ANNA K. by Jenny Lee (Paperback ARC)


First of all, I WON THIS IN A GIVEAWAY! HOW COOL IS THAT? And it is simply for this reason this book has a special mention in this post. The cover's bright and attractive, the actual reason I entered. A contemporary take on Anna Karenina with an Asian representation has got me jumping on my toes!





It's not common knowledge but I've been a YA PNR/Fantasy reader a lot longer than I have been a romance reader and every single YA Fantasy book in this list is solely because I want to go to that world and see how it has not only developed over the years but to see if I can find my footing in this "world" again.

Romance, on the other hand, will always hold a huge chunk of my heart. That is never going to change. 

Let me know if any of these made it into your TBR! If you've already read them, what are your thoughts?!


Comments

  1. This is an amazing haul! Some of my faves from 2019 are on here and some I'm quite excited to read this year :) Hope you enjoy all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is so exciting!! Thank you and I hope you enjoy yours too! ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment