Special Post: Little Sister Recommends

 


This week I asked my youngest sister to round up her Top 5 favourite books that she was most likely to recommend to her friends and while it was a trying task for her (while she fussed at writing why she would recommend these particular titles, I was enjoying seeing her squirm. LOL!) she did put together her list after serious contemplation. 


And now I hand over the post to her...



1. The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling



A standalone supporting novel to the Harry Potter series, The Tales of  Beedle the Bard, is a short collection of five stories accompanied by annotations from Prof. Albus Dumbledore.  All five stories in this book not only relate to the wizarding world but also holds values that are well-known among the muggles too. This very last tale in this collection is my favourite since it deals with the infamous tale of the Three Brothers.

With amazing and meaningful notes to explain the hidden messages and the stories, this little book is surely a keeper.





2. The School of Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

The first instalment in the School for Good and Evil, this series is a must for everyone who enjoys fantasy, adventure, friendships and a mild dose of romance.

The themes of "Fate", "Acceptance", "Moving On" and "Everything is not what it seems"  runs throughout the series. With a well-thought-out and coordinated plotline, this series is interesting, engaging and unputdownable!  Everything is beautifully expressed and with a fleshed-out plot, this is an extremely marvellous series and I
urge everyone to get their hands on it if they can.




3.  The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl

A classic story written by the renowned author Roald Dahl, The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me, is set around the desire of a boy to own a sweet shop. A quick read peppered with funny incidents, this is one of those novels which I can re-read without skimming or skipping a page! 

A nice novel for young readers, this story highlights the values of friendship and that a friend can be someone from any caste, class or species.




4. The Secret Key: Agatha Oddly by Lena Jones

The first book in the Agatha Oddly Trilogy, the author takes inspiration from the character's namesake, Agatha Christie, and is recommended for that little detective in all of us. A gift from my mother, this book has a well-executed plot and kept me on my toes. 

The main character of the book, Agatha, is your teenage nerd who wears glasses and has a deep love for books (You could say this was me because of my glasses and love for books). The book is a great inspiration for little detectives in training! 

PS. As more of a mystery, this book is best recommended with a mug of hot chocolate and bonfire. 





5. The Daughter from a Wishing Tree: Unusual Tales about Women in Mythology by Sudha Murty

With a focus on Indian Mythology and the women in them, this novel is my absolute favourite due to its portrayal of the women in the lead rather than the submissive side character which is a common theme in Indian Mythologies. The stories in this book open our eyes to the hardships of the women in the ancient time when being a girl was seen as a bad omen instead of a blessing. 

If you are looking for a quick guide to the ancient Indian lores, then this set of well-written short stories is one I would definitely recommend. 






Well, I hoped you all enjoyed the recommendations from my sister and if you like any of them, please let us know! My sister is definitely itching now that the post is live. Lol!  



Comments

  1. Great post, it's great to see what family members' book tastes are, I should try this with my bookworm relatives! I've read The Tales of Beedle the Bard and I've got the Roald Dahl book and the School for Good and Evil on my TBR, but I hadn't heard of the other two. They sound really good though, so I should give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't heard of any of these but they sound really good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment